The Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells aren’t exactly your regular gym dumbbells. Regular dumbbells require you to unscrew the pin lock every time you want to add or remove weight plates. This can be a problem if your gym doesn’t have variable weights or you’re training from home. This can prolong time or have a negative impact on your daily schedule of high intensity training. Tons of people drop out of Gym because of high membership fees and or the schedule don’t match their daily routine.
It’s a good idea to have a pair of dumbbells in your home. Working out from home isn’t a bad idea at all. Besides you could take a year of gym membership fees and build a gym in your home that can last for decades! Bowflex SelectTech 552 adjustable dumbbells are the perfect instruments for regular workout sessions.
Let’s take a quick look at Bowflex SelectTech 552 adjustable dumbbells features:
- Can be adjusted to variable weight starting from 5 to 52.5 pounds
- Adjustments of 2.5 pounds increments, up to the first 25 pounds
- 2.5 pounds of increment for lower weights and 5 pounds of increment after 25 pounds
- Switching from one weight to another is very fast, takes little to no time
- One pair of dumbbells act as multiple pairs of dumbbells reducing space they take
- Intelligent dial system combines 15 set’s of weight into one
- Comes with 2 years of warranty on plates and parts.
- Improved design, very well made, sturdy, not fragile. Not prone to injuries.
- Newest design have red numbers on dials instead of what numbers.
- Adjust the dials on both of the end to find the ideal weight you’re looking for, pick up the dumbbells and start working out.
Who is it right for?
I got my adjustable dumbbells because I was busy with business and couldn’t make time for gym. Having them handy helps me exercise during work. One quick break becomes one quick exercise session. I like the fact for the heavy weights the increment is 5 pounds. Helps with weight training as well as high intensity workouts. It’s actually replaces 15 pairs of weights!
Exercises you can do:
- Leg exercises such as wide squats, calf raises, stationary lunges, stiff leg dead lifts, reverse lunges, side lunges etc
- Back exercises such as: alternating rows, wide rows, dead lifts etc
- Chest exercises such as flat chest press, incline chest press, flat fly, incline fly, decline chest press and more
- Abdominal: ab crunch, reverse crunch, lying trunk rotation, twisting side crunches, lying leg raises etc
- Arm exercises: standing curls, concentration curls, incline bench curls, scott curls, overhead triceps extension, triceps kickbacks, lying triceps extension, hammer curls etc
- Shoulder exercises: standing shoulder press, lateral raises, seated shoulder presses, front raises, rear delt row, shrugs and tons of more exercises
The bar is 1.5 inches wide in the center with a protective very solid rubber coating. There are metal tabs that attach to the right weight when you turn the dials. They are very sturdy. Although it may be intriguing but it’s not a wise idea to do push ups on them. You may end up looking awkward! The item ships in one box.
Adjusting the weights the right way Please keep in mind in order to change the weight you need to place the dumbbells on the plastic base. Turn the dials for the right weight setting on both of the weights and pick it up. You can also adjust one end to 40 and the other end to 45 to activate 42.5 pounds. This locking mechanism is absent from other dumbbells available on the market.
Safety The Bowflex SelectTech 552 comes with safety coated weights and strong construction.The locking mechanism makes sure that the weight plates don’t separate from the handle. The dumbbell is constructed with textured rubber grip and shaped ergonomically to prevent wrist injuries. The handle will provide comfort during a workout session.
Bowflex trainer app The Bowflex SelectTech comes with a trainer app that includes exercises you can do with the adjustable dumbbells. The exercises include squats, lunges, dead lifts, presses etc. The app is very helpful for your daily exercises.
Bowflex SelectTech dumbbell stand You can purchase Bowflex dumbbell stand along with the dumbbells. This is helpful as you don’t have to bend over every time to change the weight or keep the dumbbells on the ground. The stand isn’t expensive, it actually looks good.
Warranty The dumbbells come with 2 years of warranty on all parts including handle assembly, weight plates and base assembly. The warranty is residential environment only.
Benefits Durable and sleek design
- The weights of the dumbbells have durable molded plastic so they are scratch proof. The dumbbells are resistant to rusting even if you sweat on them. The handle is ergonomically designed and aesthetically pleasing. The handles provide comfortable grip.
- Despite what you think of the design the made is durable, doesn’t wobble or shake during workouts. The dumbbells are seemingly sturdy, I have accidentally dropped them couple of times but no damage whatsoever.
- This is the biggest plus of the dumbbells. For the different weights in a gym you would need an entire wall of dumbbells. This dumbbell effectively replaces all that and saves space.
- Dimension: 15.75 x 8 x 9 inches only, effectively saving space.
Quick weight change
- With just a quick turn of the dials you can change weight in seconds. Enables you to save precious moments.
- You can also select different weights on each side of the dumbbell. This allows users to select different weight on each side. This helps provide flexible weight.
Women can use this too
- Broad range of weight enables women to select lower weight and exercise.
What users say about it
Most of the users like the dumbbells while some complain the dumbbells are huge as they are sixteen inches wide. Some complained about weights falling off on very rare cases but the newer models are improved and the problem no longer remains. If you’re unsure you can go to Amazon to read 3600+ reviews of happy customers and decide for yourself.